Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Who am I...

I thought that as I begin, I would explain a little of who I am and how I got to be where I am today. Granted, this is only a small piece of a very big puzzle. I will not say my illness is who I am, however, it is a very big part of who I am. It does not define me, but it most certainly has shaped me. I am neither ashamed nor proud of it. My health is like an arm or a leg, I cannot live without it, but nor do I glorify it's existence. It just is, a part of the larger body.

I was diagnosed with CVID (common variable immune disorder) in 2006. In short, this means that my body does not produce immunoglobulins, which are the cells that help fight infection. This means that I get infections easily, since I have no way to fight them naturally. When I do get infections I often end up in the hospital. There has been damage done to my lungs as a result and at this point I need oxygen continuously. I receive weekly treatments of IVIg (intravenous immunoglobulin) which is supposed to help prevent me from getting infections.

CVID is a primary immune disorder, which means that it is genetic. Despite its name, it is not very common - though it is one of the most common immune disorders.

The road to being diagnosed was very long and difficult. I was always sick as a child with upper respiratory infections sinus infections, and what-not. I was hospitalized for the first time when I was 13. At the time I was diagnosed with severe asthma, though my symptoms seemed to go beyond the scope of traditional asthma. Over the years, my 'asthma' got worse and I had to be intubated several times. I have been intubated, on a respirator, and in the ICU over 30 times to date. I've stopped counting at this point. I got sick more frequently, got pneumonia constantly, was in the hospital several times throughout the year.

In the summer of my sophomore year of college, I got pneumonia and never got better. I was intubated 3 times in one month. Every time I left the hospital, I was back in within a week. I constantly had one infection or another and was on antibiotics and steroids. I required continuous oxygen. I was a nursing student at the time, and told my doctor that I was immunocompromised. If I was in a large room and one person had a cold, I got their cold, except that I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. My doctor did not believe me and told me that I did not know what I was talking about. But it was my body, and I knew it best. I knew that something was not right. I switched doctors and the new doctor ran a simple blood test - yes that is all it took. When the results came back he confirmed my fears. I was diagnosed with CVID. I was put on monthly infusions of IVIg.

At the time, I had never heard of CVID, never even heard of or thought that I might have an immune disorder. Adjusting to the diagnosis was difficult and took some time. I had to give up my career in nursing since I could not afford to get everything my patients had. I switched to biology with the intents of pursuing a career in research where I could study and perhaps find a cure to this disease.

When I first began the IVIg treatments I expected a quick fix. I expected to go back to how I was before - to not be sick and to not get infections all the time. Though I got slightly less infections, I was still sick and in the hospital with various infections a significant amount of time. The treatments were increased to every 3 weeks. Two years ago, we changed the treatment regimen yet again to once a week in hopes of getting rid of the peaks and troughs that I experienced when the treatments were spaced out to every 3 weeks. When I got them every 3 weeks, I would initially do well right after the infusions, but by the second week would start to struggle with fatigue and other such symptoms. By the 3rd week, just before my infusion, I would be so run down and get sick that it was almost impossible to function.

I struggle with other complications of this disorder. I have chronic pain and abdominal issues. I am often exhausted to the point where getting up and performing even the smallest of tasks, like taking a shower, is an accomplishment. I suffer from severe bone and joint pain to the point that some days I am unable to move. My lungs have deteriorated quite significantly from the numerous infections.

Initially, the weekly infusions helped tremendously. I was healthy and out of the hospital for longer periods of time. I was able to come off the oxygen and live a relatively normal life. I had plans to go onto grad school, but realized that this would not be possible with how sick I am. Currently, I am also not able to work because it is impossible to hold down a job if you are in the hospital and sick every couple of weeks. This has been very difficult for me both physically and emotionally.

The road I've been on is long; the path I continue on is longer. But I have hope that it will get better - somehow.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it has been such a long haul for you. I have CVID. I was diagnosed over 28 years ago. My 19 year old daughter and 21 year old son also have the diagnosis. We are all on IViG. My kid were lucky, since I knew I had it they were promptly diagnosed before they had any permanent systematic damage. My daughter starts nursing school at the University of Pennsylvania next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad both your kids were diagnosed early. That is so important. Tell your daughter I said good luck! I loved nursing. Wish I had been able to finish. But when one door closes, another opens.

    ReplyDelete