Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cardiology Update

I apologize that it has been so long since I updated last. The past several months have been insane with doctors appointments and tests. It has literally been one thing after another, not slowing down for a split second. I have said previously that being sick is a full-time job and it is (See post Full-time Job. My days and weeks are constantly filled with doctors appointments, tests, and other assortment of treatments and procedures. I have had to triage my consults so that I do the most important ones first. So, instead of writing one REALLY long post, I will try to break things up as I update you all.

First of all, back in July when I was in the hospital, I was supposed to follow-up with a cardiologist because while in the hospital they noticed I had severe tachycardia. At rest, my heart rate would be 120-130. By just getting up and going to the bathroom, it would sky rocket up to 160+. Oftentimes my heart rate would get to be so high that it would actually become painful. I'd feel as if my heart would leap right out of my chest. If it happened at night when I was trying to sleep, which is undoubtedly when it would happen most frequently, I wouldn't be able to sleep. I would only be able to lay there, feeling as if my heart was on a runaway train, with me along for the ride. Sometimes I would even feel as if it started and stopped or fluttered in the back of my throat. Rather than just see any cardiologist, I decided to see my family's cardiologist Dr. Doughrety, who has treated my grandfather, grandmother, mom, and uncle. Unfortunately with all the pulmonology issues and immune issues going on, I had to reschedule a few times beofre actually making it to the appointment. I was very impressed. Like the previous doctors in the hospital, he did not believe that my condition was biological but rather due to my failing lungs. As my lung function has declined, my heart has had to work overtime to compensate, trying to push out the same amount of blood and oxygen to my organs despite my decreased oxygenation in my lungs. They did a high-resolution echocardiogam and 21-day heart monitor.

E-Cardio Monitor. Button in center can be pushed when you "sense" an event. So when I felt my heart rate going really fast or just not feeling normal, I would press the button. It would then record the instance and transmit it via cell towers to the company in Texas. They would then call me to make sure I was okay. At times, if they sensed something was not normal, they would automatically record the event. During the time the event was recorded, an EKG was done. 

E-Cardio Monitor clipped to pants pockets for ease of portability. While it was not horrible, could have been much worse, I was extremely grateful not to have to wear it anymore and send it to them after the 21-days was up. Even with the sensitive leads, my skin got very irritated and I started to run out of places to put them. Also it was hard to sleep with. I'd roll on top of it, or the leads would become disconnected as I slept.

Funny story: Within the first 24-hours of wearing it, I was sitting on my bed reading a book, just relaxing. The machine starts squealing and the company calls me. They ask if I'm alright. I respond, "Well, I think so, but shouldn't you know better than me seeing as you can see my heart rate and rhythm." Glad to know they really were monitoring my heart, but it was a bit disconcerting.

The results were as expected. The structure and rhythm of my heart is fine. I do have severe tachycardia, but this is from my heart working so hard to compensate for my deteriorating lungs. They can give me medication for it if absolutely necessary, but at this time, with all the other medication that I am on, we would like to refrain from having to do that. Just another sign showing the decline in my lungs.

2 comments:

  1. I love you sweet Melissa. Hang in there darling, do not EVER give up. I am always here. HUGS, LOVE, Prayers. AMB

    ReplyDelete
  2. My lungs are ok when they are happy, but when they get mad they 'put me down.' I probably really could get by with one lung.

    I should have healthy lungs as I have never smoked!

    If it is possible for one PIDD patient to donate to another PIdd patient I will happily give you a lung.

    (they do it with kidneys)

    ReplyDelete