Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hospital

While there is never exactly a "convenient" time to get sick, as no one ever wants to be sick, but I often seem to get sick at the most inopportune moments. When the last thing I want to do, or can afford to do is get sick, when it's actually extremely important that I stay healthy, that is most often when I do exactly that. During these times, I try to will my body to stay healthy. It's as if I try to bargain with it - just stay healthy until... Unfortunately, my body rarely listens.

Tomorrow, I was supposed to go up to Boston for a consult at Boston Children's hospital. So of course, last week, my lungs decide to get crappy. I could feel the mucous building up and getting congested. I got to be so tired and worn out doing simple things, gasping with every breath I took. Instead of decreasing the prednisone, I stayed at 40mg. I needed my body to make it. On Thursday night, I began running a fever. Now I never run  a fever, so when I do, something is seriously wrong. Friday, I called the doctor and was told to go to the ER. I didn't want to go to the ER. I wanted him to give me antibiotics and let me do it at home. I was not at crisis point where I would normally go to the ER. My lungs were bad, but not horrible. I was holding my own. Of course, I knew without antibiotics, this wouldn't last long. I was very frustrated.

Well, I made it through Saturday. Watched a move with my sister and had a good diner. It actually wasn't the lungs that did it this time. They played a part, but the ultimate issue was the fact that I started with severe upper quadrant abdominal pain. It caused me to double over in agony. I took a pain pill, but it didn't even touch it. 2 hours later, I took another. The pain had worsened to the point that the Zophran ODT wasn't even working to counteract the nausea. My breathing, which had been difficult before any of this started, was worse. I couldn't take a deep breath at all. So finally, and very reluctantly, I went to the ER. The ER was insane on a Saturday night of a holiday weekend, but I got right in since my o2 sats were only 81%. I had a temperature, and my blood work showed a WBC (white blood cell count) that was through the roof and an elevated lipase level. Lipase is an enzyme in the pancreas that digest fat. Elevated lipase usually indicates pancreatitis. With the PIDD, my WBC rarely goes up.

The ER doctor was actually very good. He stayed on top of things and consulted my opinion on what worked best for me. This is very rare as usually ER doctors do not understand PIDD at all, have never even heard of PI, and thus, often treatment is horrible. In addition, usually if you are in pain, ER doctors do not listen. If you have been there even once before for a condition requiring pain medication, you can be called "drug-seeking" or an "addict". This is very frustrating. While I understand the need for doctors to be cautious, I have a serious medical condition which can leave me in debilitating pain. If I end up in the ER in pain, it's usually quite severe and caused by another issue such as kidney stones. So it was quite refreshing to be asked what works for me and be taken seriously. Apparently the ER doctor had taken care of me here previously and had also taken care of me at Baystate, which is the hospital I used all throughout college. I have always received excellent care there and because it is where I was diagnosed and being treated for my immune disorder, most doctors there are familiar with my case. Needless to say, though I was hoping to avoid being admitted, I was. I do agree that it was needed, especially with my WBC being so high.

Overall, it's been a fairly good admission. I have had some minor issues with pain management, but overall my pain has been controlled. I am on IV antibiotics. Thus far, I am NPO, meaning I am not allowed to eat anything, to hopefully help the pancreatitis. My biggest concern is that I will have to reschedule my appointment in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment