Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Migraines

Recently, I have struggled with HORRIBLE migraines. In fact, I'm not sure the word "migraine" covers it. It starts above my eyes and works its way to the base of my skull and c-spine. The pressure in my head is enormous. I feel like my head is in a vice-like grip. I've often had headaches associated with my infusion, but these are different fro my infusion headaches. At first, they started 1 - 2 times a week. This was annoying, but I could live with it. I began to be alarmed when I started having visual disturbances with them. I'd get these black spots that would obscure my vision. Sometimes it would be so bad that my vision would go completely black for moments of time. I'd also have problems with positional changes. If I moved my head too quickly (bent down), I would get a stabbing pain through my head and my vision would go black for a few minutes. I consulted my doctor and she gave me Gabapentin. Gradually, this got worse. In stead of 1 - 2 times a week, I was having them 3 - 4 times a week. Last week I was finally able to see my doctor again and told her I needed a referral to a neurologist. Not only had the frequency and severity of these headaches increased, but at times I would black out completely. I'd find myself on the floor, not knowing how I got there. She increased the Gabapentin and gave me a referral to see the neurologist.

This past week, I had the worst migraine/headache I've ever had. After six days I began to get concerned. Each day it got worse, with the pain radiating down my spine. The pain was unbelievable. My skull felt like ti was going to crack open, and honestly, I would have welcomed that. I tried to get into to see the neurologist, but knew there was no way they could get me in for a new-patient visit in the next few days. They hadn't even processed my referral yet. Though my doctor had made the referral, the neurologist's office kept telling me they never received it. Then, they told me they needed notes before they could make me an appointment. Finally, I was unable to take the pain anymore. I was also not able to keep anything down (liquids or solids) even with nausea medication. My friends urged me to do something as a migraine lasing this long was severe and needed to be checked out. So, off to the ER I went. Thank goodness at the ER they were able to give me IV pain and nausea medication that helped. They also did a spinal tap (lumbar puncture). Though they did the LP to see if I had an infection that was causing the pain, the LP helped relieve the pressure in my head. In the past day or so, as my body has replaced the lost spinal fluid, the pressure in my head has begun to build and slowly the headache has come back. I hope this is not going to be a chronic thing. I cannot have an LP every week or so to relieve the pressure in my head each time it builds. The neurologists office finally called back yesterday. The ER sent them a referral, so I can now make an appointment. I hope I can get an appointment soon and get some answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment