Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Locks of Love

I began growing my hair a little over a year ago. At first, I started growing it because I thought that I was going to have to have a bone marrow transplant. I have been receiving IVIg treatment for my cvid for 5 years now. Typically replacement immunogloblulin therapy is sufficient to keep a patient with cvid healthy. Unfortunately, this has not been true for me. When I was first diagnosed and started receiving IVIg treatment, I received infusions once every 4 weeks. At first this helped. I was in the hospital less than prior to being diagnosed and starting IVIg treatment; however, I was still getting many infections, frequently requiring the need to be hospitalized. My doctor determined that we would increase the frequency of the infusions to every 3 weeks instead of every 4. Initially this helped to decrease the occurrence of infections, but once again, it did not stop it completely. After nearly another year of treatment, it was decided that perhaps a lower dose more frequently would more effectively manage the infections. The new treatment schedule had me receiving 10G IVIg weekly instead of 40G every 3 weeks. The idea was that a lower dose more frequently would eliminate the peaks and troughs, helping me maintain a more steady state of immulglobulins, giving me better protection from disease and infections. This is not how cvid is traditionally managed, but we were willing to try just about anything to get the infections under control. Initially, things seemed to improve greatly. I was able to go 8 - 10 weeks without being in the hospital for an infection. However, this was still not enough to keep me infection free. Not having any other options, my doctor decided to suggest the possibility of a bone marrow transplant. A bone marrow transplant would be a cure for my cvid.

CVID is the result of faulty bone marrow, which makes faulty B cells. In healthy bone marrow, B cells are made and they mature to the point that they can identify, attack, and kill potential pathogens and invaders. In people with cvid, the B cells never mature. Instead, they remain in a naive (baby) state, where they are unable to identify or kill pathogens. Since most people with cvid are able to be kept healthy by receiving Igg infusions, a bone marrow transplant is not even considered. Though a cure, a bone marrow transplant is a very risky procedure. To undergo a bone marrow transplant, the patient must first go through high doses of chemotherapy and radiation to completely destroy the patient's own bone marrow. Once a patient's own bone marrow is completely destroyed, they receive an infusion of a donor bone marrow. The donor bone marrow must be a perfect match. Even under the best of circumstances, it is nearly impossible (except in the case of an identical twin) to get an exact match. The problem is that without an exact match, the body identifies the donor marrow as foreign and attacks it, causing a variety of symptoms called GVD (Graft vs. Host). A person's body can reject the donor marrow completely if it is too dissimilar. Once the person receives the infusion of donor marrow, the donor marrow grows and matures. Once it is fully mature and functional, the person can go home. The donor marrow is free of the genetic mutations causing cvid, and thus the person no longer is considered to have cvid. It is because of the severe risks and complications that a bone marrow transplant is rarely done. The chemotherapy and radiation itself is extremely harsh on the body and a person can die from complications of these medications alone. The chemotherapy causes the person to lose all of their hair.

When the doctors first began discussing this as an option for me, I began growing my hair. I knew that losing my hair would be very traumatic. I love my hair. In fact, it is one of the only physical features of my body that I absolutely love about myself and would never change. Why? Well, first of all, my hair is a unique color. It is made of various colors and tints - browns, blonds, reds... It can't be described as one color, but is often referred to as honey blond. I have never altered my hair color in any way. I am proud of my God-given color. In the summer, the sun causes it to lighten and different highlights of various colors appear. My mom's hair dresser has spent countless hours trying to reproduce the color of my hair for my mom when she gets her hair colored each month. I am proud of my hair and its uniqueness. It is a symbol of who I am. Losing it, even if it is to have a bone marrow transplant and a cure to my disease, would be devastating. This is why I began growing my hair as soon as doctors began even thinking of such an option. If I truly needed a bone marrow transplant, I wanted to be able to cut my hair and turn it into a wig to be worn while I received chemotherapy.



No comments:

Post a Comment