Monday, July 11, 2011

Things are Never Easy

I was discharged from the hospital a week after having the trach placed. So I was discharged on last Thursday. Since then, life has been a collasal horrible disaster. They basically discharged me without any proper discharge plan. They were supposed to downsize the trach to a 6 so that I could use the passy meir valve and talk. Remember this was supposed to make the quality of my life better. Well, the surgeon decided that the trach was too new and he did not want to downsize the trach for another week. Well we will skip ahead in time to today when we called and guess what.... the doctor is on vacation this week. So is my trach going to be downsized so that I can use the passy meir valve this week? That would be a giant no because the doctor is on vacation. Can I scream? Oh wait, I have no voice! I can't even do that. And while I was told that this was a simple office procedure, guess what I find out. It is day surgery at the very least. They will bring me in, change the trach and it may be a few hours or I may need to stay over. Let's count on me needing to stay over because that is how my life is. And honestly I just want to be sure I can use the passy meir valve and talk. Because this not being able to communicate sucks and is just not fair. Just sayin'

So back to the story. The company that previously handled all my o2 needs does not do trach care or anything with trachs. Ok, understandable. Trachs take special consideration and are more complicated than plain just o2 needs. So one would think before being discharged from the hospital they would set me up with the o2 needs and humidification that I need with a trach. Also, one would think they would provide me with what I need for trach care. For those who don't know about trachs, they obviously have to be cleaned and taken care of. Well, none of this was taken care of. I was sent home without any humidification for my o2. This caused me to get very dry and that caused other problems. Also, I was sent home with 2 trach cleaning care kits when discharged. Since PromptCare, my previous o2 company could not provide my needs, it was set up that Apria would take over. Well Apria never got the proper authorization, scripts with specific o2 needs, ect. and so they never set things up. Anyway.... VNA came out Friday and were appalled that I basically had nothing - o2 wasn't set up and had no trach care kits. It was also determined that I should've been sent to rehab not directly home since I have not learned how to live with a trach, nor care for myself with a trach, and after having the trach put in, I'm sufficiently weak and really can't do much. So, yes, I need rehab. We were told to go back to the hospital and they would admit me and arrange for rehab. Well I never actually made it into the ER. I sat in the waiting room for several hours while the charge nurse made some phone calls and tried to arrange for the o2 needs with Apria. We all know that it is near impossible to be admitted for rehab on a Friday afternoon at 2pm. So we were assured that Apria was going to come and by 7pm when they hadn't, we were back on the phone trying to get the humidification I needed to get through the weekend, since nothing was going to be done until Monday. In the end, we went to the ER and picked up some humidification bottles to attach to the liquid tanks. We rolled one liquid tank into my room and attached the humidification bottle attached to the trach mask. This gives me the ability to move about a foot and a half. Basically I'm stuck in my room. So much for making my life more mobile.

On to Saturday. The VNA nurse comes again. At this point I have used all the trach care kits given to me because my trach keeps getting clogged with huge blood clots that require me to take the trach tube out and clean it because I can't breath through these clots. The nurse calls the dr that put it in (yes the doctor that is currently on vacation) and he says to go to the ER. So off to the ER we go. Also decide to mention to the ER that despite 80mg of lasix my feet are so swollen with severe edema that I can't walk and nothing fits on my feet. Oh, but does the ER want to do anything? nope. They give us a few more supplies and tell us that after talking to Dr. Constantino (the dr that sent us to the ER) that coughing up blood is normal for a new trach. (then whey did he send us to the ER?) They did do a chest xray and that is all fine. So we left with one more trach kit, some ampules of saline to squirt in my trach, and a few more supplies  to get through the weekend. Apria still has not come with o2 or supplies.

So we get through Sunday. I sleep and watch tv because there isn't much else I can do. It is now Monday. We try to get me into rehab. The VNA and my pcp are trying to work together. There is a rehab facility in town that does pulmonary rehab that would be perfect. Guess what? Medicaid won't cover skilled nursing care. haha. Life is such a collasal joke. I can't get into rehab because it isn't covered by insurance. Did I mention that Apria still hasn't come. The pulmonologist is supposed to be signing and faxing over orders so they can deliver what I need, but yet it still hasn't been done. We have been making phone calls all day. My pcp's suggestion was to go back to the ER, to which we siad no because they aren't even going to treat me but rather they will just send me home again, so what is the point of sitting there for hours. Now it is 4 o'clock and despite countless calls made by my mom and VNA since I have no voice, still no change. VNA is trying to get the pulmo to direct admit me and finally do the job they should've done originally. Yes, some of my doctors suck. Some of them are great and are trying their best to move mountains and get things done. My VNA nurse is an angel and really couldn't do more than she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment