Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I think one of the hardest things about this is telling people. Knowing that I am hurting them and knowing that it will only be harder and only get worse. I wish I could save them from the pain. I wish I could protect them, but I can't. Not telling them doesn't protect them or save them from hurt. It shortens the time they have with me. I feel I need to give them this time, this opportunity to spend with me and do things, make memories, before I'm no longer here. But it hurts me to hurt them, because I love them so much, and that will, never change. I will never stop loving them, even when I'm not here. I know that this time is a time that is all about me, but I need to make it be about them as well, because they are my support system, my life, and my love. My time here is short, I know that. I can already see it, though others may not. I try to deny it. I try to imagine that I will get better, that I will be able to move into my own apartment and live a life, but realistically, I know this isn't true. I am only able to lie to myself for small periods, and even then, I know it's not true. The periods I am able to deny reality get shorter and shorter. I am sick and I would never wish this existence on anyone. If I do anything one day, I then sleep for two days to make up for it. I sleep all the time. I try to deny the changes, but it's hard when it's right in your face. Denying it, won't help. It won't stop it from happening. It won't give me more time or change circumstances. The facts remain the same - I am dying. It sucks. It's not fair. I try to be patient with my friends and their needs. I know this isn't easy. I've been sick for many years. In some ways that fact makes it harder because people are used to me being sick. They are used to me being in the hospital, even in ICU and on respirators. I always get better. It desensitizes them. We've talked about my death. My close friends have listened when I talked of my fears that I was going to die before I was ready. But I don't really think any of us really wanted to believe these were anything more than fears. We didn't really think this day would come. But it has...

The one thing that really gets me choked up and cry is the idea of all those I love left behind. What it's going to be like when they get the word that I'm officially gone. All those years, that I attempted suicide, not once did I really think about it. I didn't consider death and what it really meant, but that is the difference between suicide and true death. Suicide is done out of anger. It is selfish, where all you're concerned about is yourself. It's a giving up. it's going in the corner, curing up in a ball, and dying. It's black. True death is the opposite. True death is white. It is selfless. It is not giving up or giving in. It is acceptance. I worry about my friends and what it will be like to them to lose a good friend, for some we're so close, we're like sisters. I worry about my siblings. Losing Poppy was devastating and hard, but this... I don't know... Parents shouldn't have to bury children. It hurts me just knowing the hurt they will feel. Yes, I know they'll move on. Life is for the living, and gradually, they'll move on because they'll have to. There is no choice. I know that gradually it'll hurt less, but the hurt will never completely go away. Someday we'll be reunited. Just as I know I'll see Poppy when I go to heaven, I'll be waiting for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment