Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Breathe Easy

I lay there as I look at you breathing. In. Out. In. Out. I see the muscles move as you fight for every breath. You are a fighter. A courageous warrior. You do not give up. You do not give in. You fight with every cell in your body. I see the hurt in your eyes. You are so utterly and completely tired. Yet you continue. In. Out. In. Out. You may not have leaped tall buildings. Or saved the world from impending doom. Yet, you are a hero. My hero. With every breath you take, a battle has been won. Others cannot possibly understand the fight you face every moment. They run. They play. Yet you cannot even remember what it was like to breathe easy. Did you ever breathe easy? Each breath for you is a championship won. I look at you with love and admiration. In one breath, you accomplish more than others can in a lifetime. I can only hope to be half as strong as you. In. Out. In. Out.

In honor of those who fight so valiantly against lung disease. They are true heroes.

2 comments:

  1. You are the most amazing poet I know. like I used to think my poems were good, until I read this.

    this did more than bring a tear to my eye. I sobbed.

    its beautiful. and I thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is great and it give me braveness for fight with disease. Great post. Immune Support

    ReplyDelete