Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rose Colored Glasses

You look at me through your rose colored glasses telling me the words you think I want to hear. You live your life in a fantasy where everything ends as happily ever after. You wave your magic wand as if to make it all go away. But I do not live in this world. My world is one of fear and sorrow. Happy endings rarely exist.

You hide behind you rose colored glasses to hide from reality. You may think these words or those that I want to hear, but rather they are the ones you want to say. You refuse reality. You say it is to help me, an act of selflessness. But no. You are the selfish one. These words are meant to make YOU fell better. I feel anger as you defy the truth. You belittle me by giving me your platitudes.

Take off those glasses. Be strong and accept reality, my reality. This is no fairy tale, but rather a world of stark truth. Yet though there is dark, there is light. Joy and pain. Fear and Hope. Take off your rose colored glasses, and you will live again.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, I lost a 14-yr. old son to cancer. When he was ill and after he died, I heard a lot of platitudes. Sometimes I wanted to say exactly what you did here. I applaud your courage in speaking the truth.

    People DO often speak out of their own fear when they are dealing with a scary situation. Rose-colored glasses, indeed. "If I can't see your pain, then maybe it isn't that bad." Unfortunately for you, people who have not faced your level of adversity are often unequipped to handle it. My son narrowed his circle significantly when he was sick, so that he could deal with "those who knew" his truth.

    You deserve bright light and clarity around you. Take that, and send the rest away.

    ReplyDelete