Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Good Christian

Often people claim themselves to be "good Christians." They preach the Bible and speak the word of God. They attend church regularly. But what is a good Christian? Being a good Christian doesn't depend on how often you attend church or how much you read the Bible. In my opinion, the church is an institution. Being a good Christian depends on your actions and your words. Being a good Christian means following in Christ's footsteps, doing what He would want you to do. A good Christian does not judge others. None of us is perfect. It is the reason that Jesus died on the cross - so that He could wash away the sins of the world and so we would have everlasting life.

One thing that has upset me greatly and makes me very angry is how some of my family members have reacted to my illness, especially my trach. The only person other than my mom, brothers, and sister that has visited me is my grandmother. None of my aunts, uncles, or cousins have shown that they care to any degree. I do not expect them to visit. My aunt, uncle, and cousins in Georgia, or my uncle in Florida are too far away; however, in an age of technology such as the one we live in, they could call, send a text message, an email, a card - anything. There are many ways to let a person know that you care and that they are thinking about you. I have an aunt and uncle that live ~20 minutes away. They drive by my house on their way to church. Yet, they have not called, sent me messages, or visited me. They have not asked how I was doing, or if I was okay. I know my mom has kept them all aware of my condition and what was going on. It angers me because they profess to be a huge support to me, but even as I lay in the hospital fighting for my life, fighting to breathe and having to have a trach put in so that I could continue to live, they have not contacted me in any way. They profess to be good Christians, yet what "good Christian" doesn't attempt to provide support to a family member in need. They say they are busy. Too busy to make a phone call, too busy to send a text message, too busy to send and email, too busy to send a card? It is a shame when we are "too busy" to share care, concern, love, and support to those we love.

Part of my anger is fear. I fear that in not taking the time to show they care or ask how I am, they will miss out on that opportunity and regret it. I worry that should I die, they will regret this. I will not hold it against them, though it hurts me that they have not even called to ask how I am. My fear is that by the time they realize it, it will be too late. I saw how deeply my grandfather's death effected them. Mainly because they did not take his illness seriously. They took for granted that he was there and assumed that he always would be. But we all must die at some point. Nothing is forever. When he passed, they did not have the opportunity to tell him how much he meant to them. Though he knew it, they didn't have the chance to say it. I have watched how deeply that has affected them, and I fear for that happening with them for me. I know that I will not live forever. The trach was meant to give me more time. It is not a cure. It will not stop the progression or fix the damage already done. It has given us more time, time to enjoy each other and make more memories. Memories that they can think about and treasure when I am no longer here. Memories that can provide them comfort and love when they feel sorrow. So my anger is more for them and their wasting an opportunity. And yes, to some degree it hurts because it seems as if they don't care, that fighting for my life and the struggles I have endured are not importnat and mean nothing to them. To me, they cannot speak of walking in the Lord's way when they cannot take 5 minutes to call and ask how I am doing, cannot stop by when they pass my house anyway.This saddens me and I pray that they will come to know the Lord and His love, that they can enter this world walking in His light and be shown His mercy, for His mercy endures forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment