Friday, August 5, 2011

Rehab Day 1

First steps
 Today is the first day of rehab. I feel slightly disoriented and very overwhelmed. The therapists came in early this morning to introduce themselves and set up a time in which we could meet. It is a day of assessment and evaluation. For occupational therapy, I got washed up. It is a little embarrassing as my OT therapist is Chris, a man. It takes so much energy just to wash up, sapping my energy nearly completely. I am promised that tomorrow I can shower. Yay! :) This will be my first shower in nearly two weeks, since before going for surgery at Rockville Hospital.

Next I had speech therapy. My speech therapist, Nichole, is concerned about my swallowing and whether I am aspirating some food down into my lungs since sometimes what I am drinking comes out of the trach. Apparently this isn't supposed to happen, and not as cool as when it comes out your nose. lol. They are changing my diet to decrease the chances of this happening. Next week they will do a swallowing test. They will stick a camera up my nose and down my throat to see exactly what is happening when I eat. They have diagnosed me with vocal chord paralysis. If this is true and my vocal chords do not perform properly, this can cause aspiration. In healthy vocal chords, they close when you swallow, blocking the path of your trachea to your lungs and pushing food toward and down the esophagus. If my vocal chords aren't working correctly, they do not close when swallowing and thus food and drink can enter the lungs.

During speech therapy, we also evaluated where I am in regards to speaking. I speak rather well without any assitive aid. I talk around the trach. My voice is very breathy, but it is understandable. Speaking takes a lot of effort, and I am only able to speak for short periods of time before I am too tired. I can only speak 1-3 words at a time; however, I know with work and time this will improve. I am also able to occlude the trach with my finger to speak, but this is definitely not my preferred method. For one, it is a challenge to coordinate, when you inhale finger off and trach open, trach occluded to be able to speak. Another thing is this can be exhausting and I wouldn't want to carry on an entire conversation this way. In addition, there is the issue of infection. As clean as you can make your hands, there will always be some germs on them. By covering the trach with your finger, you are opening your body to numerous amounts of germs just wanting to attack your body.

Passy Muir Speaking Valve
The last mode of communication is using the passy muir valve, or speaking valve. This valve fits over the trach. It is small and round and has a screen. The way it's supposed to work is that it allows air to enter through the trach, but closes so that air goes over the vocal chords when you exhale, allowing for speech. Many people find this the gold standard. For me, it is not. I cannot tolerate the passy muir valve (pmv) at all. As I put it on, I feel as if my air has suddenly been cut off. When I attempt to make sound or talk, nothing comes out. Instead, I feel a great pressure building up behind the pmv and no way to  get it out. As it builds and builds, I feel as if I am suffocating. I feel like I can't breathe, causing my heart rate to go up and my o2 sats to drop. When I finally remove it, a whoosh of air comes out, releasing the pressure. If not careful, the pressure will cause the pmv to be ejected and flown across the room. For most trached patients, the pmv is their savior. Personally, I detest it. This doesn't mean that I will give up on it. I know that it is important to my life and my ability to communicate with others, but I really have a hard time with it. I can't ever imagine it being my favorite mode of communicating. Maybe it just takes time and practice to get used to it. I am able to talk without any aid, so maybe I'm not putting in as much effort as I should be. Yes, I can only say a few words at a time and it is exhausting, taking a lot of effort, but I am understandable. So in my opinion, the pmv is important, but it is not critical for me to be able to speak. Part of me wants to know if it is essential to use the pmv. If I work on breath control so that I can say more words at a time and for longer periods of time, building up my endurance, will I need to use the pmv or is it possible to speak effectively without it. If I practice various techniques that will help improve the sound of my voice and its volume, I think it might be. Right now my voice sounds hoarse and it is quiet.

Physical therapy is the area that I need to have the most progress. I have such weakness especially in my legs. I had experienced this a little bit in December when I had to get a cane to get around, but not to this extent. This is much more severe. I am unable to stand unassisted. Once in standing position, my legs begin to shake and the muscles eventually give up and I must sit. I am really unable to walk at all. This is extremely frustrating.

It still baffles my mind. How did I get this weak? Was it the accumulation of three major surgeries within two weeks, or two surgeries within four days? Was it the effect of bleeding constantly and being operated on for over two hours? Or is it something else. Could it be a virus? I have had friends who got a nervous system virus while in the hospital and were unable to walk for awhile when they got out. They had to do physical therapy and gain their strength back. Or is it another disease process. Is it Pompe or a Mitochondrial disorder? I was supposed to go for a muscle biopsy to check this out and determine if I had Pompe or a Mitochondrial disorder before the trach happened, but with all the drama of needing and getting a trach, I had to cancel the appointment. Guess it'll be something I have to reschedule when I get home and a bit more stable.

They had a team meeting about me. The average stay here is about two weeks, but it looks like I will have a slightly longer time. They estimate four weeks with a tentative date of Austust 31st. I have a long ways to go. I must be completely independent by the time that I am ready for discharge. Dad will not provide support, so I must be able to cook, care for myself, do laundry, walk, drive, ect. They expect that that is possible. By the time I am discharged, they expect that I will be able to be independent. I may need assistive aids such as a walker or cane, but I will be able to do everything myself.

All of the staff are good. They are extremely knowledgeable and I trust them to help me get back to where I was. There is a transitional apartment. This is an apartment that is on the unit. It is set up to be a true apartment. You spend the night there. This assures them that the patient is truly ready for discharge and capable of doing what they need to in the community and their own home. There is a pull cord that rings to the nurses station and a nurse can come if you need them. This makes me feel better because I know that I can be sure that I am ready to go home, but still have the support of the nurses if need be.

1 comment:

  1. I had the tracheostomy done and can totally agree with you about the passy muir valve, I am able to speak clearly with out it but that took a lot of practice and breathing for me seems natural now through my trach as I could hardly breath through my nose since I was a child. I was told in time I would learn to tolerate the PMV but for right now it's kinda of a nuisance

    ReplyDelete