Monday, August 8, 2011

Reality is much different

When they first brought up the issue of getting a trach, I obviously had many concerns. One of the reasons why I had always been so adamant about not getting a trach was that I felt it would severely decrease my quality of life. I thought trached meant being vent-dependent in which I 'd be tied to tubes in a hospital with no real life. I'd just be existing, and to me, that was the equivalent to hell. I didn't want to exist. In my opinion, that wasn't a life. It certainly wasn't a quality of life. Yet, there I was sitting in the hospital on bi-pap 24/7. I was essentially tied to the machine. I could only go as far as the tube would allow. I was able to go to the bathroom, but that was about it. I couldn't be discharged in that condition, thus I was hospital-bound. This wasn't a quality of life. This was not how I wanted to live. Here I was existing and my greatest fear was being realized.

When I told the doctors that I would consider the idea of a trach, I considered that the life I was currently living without a trach was what I feared life would be. My doctors explained that they felt that this was my only option of having any type of quality of life. They did not know if a trach would help. A trach hadn't been used n this type of circumstances before, but they felt it was the best chance at a normal life. Many people live with trachs and live active, normal lives, they said. They go to work/school/whatever. They go shopping and live happy productive lives. Immediately after surgery I wouldn't be able to talk, but they'd give me a speaking valve and as soon as I was able to use the speaking valve, I'd be able to talk just as I had before the trach. Now I wasn't so naive to believe that things would be problem-free. I knew it wouldn't be a walk in the park, but there was the hope that I would have a good quality of life. My life would be at least as good as it had been before the trach, probably better. I'd breathe better, and thus be able to do more. I'd be able to do the things I loved.

While I appreciate the encouragement. I wish I had gotten a more realistic picture of how life with a trach would be. Part of it is that people don't understand. If they haven't had a trach and thus haven't experienced life with a trach, they can't truly understand. Even people who only have temporary trachs don't fully get it. That's because, yes, they are trached, but not for long. They may have the trach for a short time, either after an injury and the trach comes out when they recover., or people waiting for transplant and have it only until they get the transplant. It's much different when your trach is permanent and you will most likely have it for the rest of your life.

Learning to live with a trach is a process. It isn't as they said, you have surgery, you put on the valve, and voila you can talk again, just as you had before. They said that with the trach, I'd just go back to doing all the things I had done before the trach. The reality is that once you get a trach, you have to relearn everything. You have to relearned how to breathe. Breathing out of your neck is much different than your nose or mouth. When I first woke up from surgery, I panicked. I didn't know where I was. I was in extreme pain, and breathing was different. I kept trying to breathe out of my nose or mouth and couldn't get air in that way. It was weird to realize that now I would be breathing out of my neck. It was very strange to be able to breathe with my mouth and nose closed. You learn to breathe at rest and when standing or walking.

You have to relearn how to eat and drink. Chewing and swallowing is different. In normal people, the vocal chords help with eating and drinking. When you swallow the epiglottis closes to prevent food going into the lungs and prevents aspiration. It opens the esophagus so food can go down to you stomach. When you have a trach, this is different. There is no longer the flap that prevents food from going into the lungs. You have to learn how to swallow without having it go into your lungs. This can be a challenge.

Showering can be one of the most difficult things. My first shower, I nearly drowned myself. Of course I didn't sit facing the spray because then I was sure to get water in the trach. I didn't realize how careful you have to be, especially with washing your hair. If you wash you hair normally as you did before the trach, you get water in the trach. It seeps in under the trach collar and into the stoma and thus into your lungs. It takes special care to learn how to shower.

Talking is certainly not as they said. It isn't like you get the trach, pop on the passy-muir valve, and ta-da, back to talking like you did before. Talking for the most part comes completely naturally without effort to most people. We don't remember learning how to talk or a time when we couldn't talk. When I first woke up, I couldn't speak at all. Then they realized that the trach was too big to use the valve with. For two weeks between when I got the initial trach and the trach was downsized, I was unable to speak at all. Writing became my only method of communication. After the third trach surgery, I began to be able to talk even without any aid such as the pmv. It was amazing to hear my voice, but speaking took a lot of effort and was exhausting. I could only say 1-2 words. At first, I wasn't able to tolerate the pmv. Finally, about seven weeks since the trach was put in, I can use the pmv and my voice is clearer. However, in no way is my ability to speak like it was before the trach. Speaking is a conscious effort. My voice is different, and speaking takes a lot of effort.

Not only do I wish that I had had more information and a more realistic picture of what life with a trach is like and what to expect, I wish I had had more time to mourn the loss of my life. No one prepared me for the extreme coughing and what to do with the mucous plugs, or what to do when the trach gets clogged. I wish they'd told me about coughing up blood and trach care. I look back and I know my life will never be the same. My life will always be - before the trach, and - after the trach. I mourn the loss of my old life. I desperately miss being able to swim and go in water. But, I try to think about what I have gained. I am alive...

No comments:

Post a Comment