Sunday, August 14, 2011

Zebras - a rare breed

When doctors go to medical school, they are taught, when you hear hoof beets, think horses, not zebras. In other words, think the most common cause of illness, not the most obscure. This has become a problem in medicine because seldom do doctors think outside the box. They try to fit everyone into that round hole. But patients don't always fit in that round hole. When a patient doesn't fit, the doctor keeps trying to make them, which is a lesson in futility. It leaves both the patient and the doctor frustrated. When the patient continues to not fit, the doctor just throws them out. Not in the literal sense, but similar to if you think back to being a child and how if the peg didn't fit, you first tried to make it, and when you still couldn't make it fit, you tossed it to the side, putting your attention to the ones that did fit, and ignoring the one that didn't. For some kids, this is the end of the game. For others, they continue to search for the hole it does fit in, though, this is much harder to do. It is very rare to find the doctor that doesn't throw you to the side and ignore you, but rather continues to try to find which hole you fit in. The doctor  that thinks zebras, not horses is this type of doctor.

Even here, in rehab, I am a zebra. I am not a "normal" trach patient. Most patients that they see here that are trached, have temporary trachs. They have been in some sort of accident or trauma. For them, the trach is temporary. They had it put in because they had to be vented for an extended period of time while they recovered from the accident. As soon as they get here, they cap them. The trach is then removed as soon as possible. For me, circumstances are different. The trach is not temporary. I was not in an accident, nor did I have any type of injury to cause me to need a trach. The trach was put in due to a disease process and the fact that I am in respiratory failure. The trach has given me a chance at life. Without it, I would not be alive. It is not a temporary thing, and for the doctors here, this is a different concept, something that in some ways is difficult for them to wrap their mind around. Rather than focusing on getting the trach removed, I need to focus on learning how to live with it.

I know that I am not the typical trach patient. I understand that this can be a challenging concept for doctors. They are not used to seeing a person so young with a permanent  trach. The first thing they discuss with me is when we can start capping and weening me off the trach. They can't comprehend that this is permanent, well at least as long as I want to be alive, since it it the trach that is keeping me alive. People tell me that nothing is for sure. That is true. Something could happen or they may discover something new that will help treat my lungs, so that I don't need the trach, but this is not a guarantee. It can't be counted on, and in all likelihood, I will have the trach for as long as I live. The trach has allowed me to breathe. Without it, I'd be back in the hospital, on bi-pap or worse, fighting for every breath, knowing that my body could go on this way for short period of time before it gave out.

I am very protective of the trach. Patients with trachs have to be to some extent. It is your airway, and how you breathe. It is also direct access to your lungs. Thus, you must be vigilant to prevent infection. I am a little more protective than some because of all the challenges I faced and hurdles I have had to jump to get here. In addition, I am very protective because of the complications and bleeding that I experienced with the trach.

When Dr. Miller first came in and wanted to talk about capping, I automatically said no. Obviously, he had not read my chart and the purpose of the trach. I informed him that this was not a temporary trach, it was permanent, and it would be staying exactly where it was. I explained further that as long as I wanted to breathe and stay alive, I had to have the trach. Then, he tried to suggest taking out my current trach and putting in one that could use disposable cannulas. While it would be much more convenient to be able to take out the inner cannula, throw it out, and replace it with a new one, one that didn't require cleaning; it would mean taking out the entire trach out to clean it, and this I would not like. I would be afraid of something happening when I took it out, or not being able to put the clean one back in. The other suggestion was to take this one out and replace it with a non-cuffed trach. The thinking behind this was that because I am not vented, I don't need the cuffed trach. This is true currently, however, it would defeat one of the purposes of the trach. In addition to allowing me to breathe better, the trach allows them to easily put me on a vent without the need for intubation. I have been intubated a lot and the trach allows them to do this without causing the trauma and damage that occurs with intubation. With everything that I went through with this one, I have a "don't touch the trach" policy. Anything else is okay, but don't touch the trach. The only person allowed to touch the trach is Dr. Constantino. So though the doctor means well, he has to realize that this is a permanent thing. I am not going to be weened off or capped, but rather I have to learn how to live with it, manage my everyday life, and be able to handle challenges that may come up.

It is a bit frustrating. While I understand that this isn't the norm for the majority of their patients, it doesn't matter. It is the reality for me. I had asked for the oxygen adapter for the pmv. The pmv has an adapter that fits on it and allows you to connect o2 tubing from the canister itself directly to the pmv without the need for a trach mask and venti regulator. Dr. Miller would not order it because they didn't have experience with such things. Besides, I think he still has the idea in his mind that I will be capped and off o2 sometime in the future. Again, while this may be true of most patients, it is not true for me. I have been on o2 for 4 years. While it would be wonderful to not need o2, this isn't realistic. Unless my lungs get better, my o2 requirements will not change. I will not be coming off the o2. The o2 adapter would allow me to be much more independent and have more freedom. He referred me to Dr. Constantino; however, Dr. Constantino is the surgeon and doesn't make decisions regarding o2 requirement. Therefore, it will probably be up to my pulmonologist to order it. The frustrating thing is that as a patient, I can't just order the o2 adapter for my pmv myself. It has to be prescribed by a doctor. I thought that if I had my appointment with Dr. Constantino and he said that it was okay, giving Dr. Miller permission to order it, that I could get it and try it out while here. My appointment with Dr. Constantino had to be changed. I voiced my concerns of not being able to have Dr. Miller order it without Dr. Constantino's approval, and thus not getting it while here. Dr. Constantino may not feel comfortable ordering it either because he is the surgeon and doesn't make decisions regarding my o2 requirements. He just takes care of the actual trach itself. He could give permission, saying that the o2 adapter isn't contraindicated with the trach and my condition. I had wanted to get it while in rehab because obtaining it while here is much easier than at home. Here, the doctor orders it, they place the order, and then it comes. There are no hoops to jump through, no red tape to cut through. At home, there will be many obstacles and it may take a couple months to get something that could be obtained here in a few days. For instance, I have been trying to get a wheelchair since December. Here, they put in the order request and it is here a couple of days later. Everything is streamlined, making it easier and more efficient. I don't see the problem with ordering it since no harm can come by ordering it and trying it while here.

Though it can be special to be a zebra, it is often quite frustrating. Nothing about a zebra's medical care is typical, and often this can be extremely frustrating. If only medical personnel would listen to us. We do know our bodies best.

No comments:

Post a Comment